I've mentioned a few times that I travel for my job. That has been true for the past 11 years. This year, I'm officially cut-off from flying as of today, and I can't see myself going anywhere work-related for a long while. Maybe not even until 2008.
That's really weird for me. Really, really weird. As it is, in my whole life I've never had a year where I didn't fly at least once sometime between January-December. Ever. This year, I'm glad for my meeting in Washington DC on Feb 1 or else I'd be in peril of breaking that streak.
Since 2002 I've really traveled a lot. I average 18-22 trips a year, sometimes more. Each trip is usually 5-6 days long. It's become a part of who I am - my friends always ask me where I've been or where I'm going in the begining of any conversation. My suitcase is always next to the closet, usually open. Airport personnel recognize me (skycaps, airport lounge staff, and even occasionally flight attendants.) I have a bazillion frequent flyer miles. I feel important in my little, tiny world.
Right now, this week, one of my events (my favorite account, in fact) is taking place. I'm not there, for the first time in 5 years. I hand-picked someone to go in my place, and he's doing a great job. He's also getting along great with my clients (my client sent me a picture of co-worker this morning, hard at work) and is having a good time. I'm happy that it's going well and that the transition has been smooth.
I'm also kind of jealous.
Part of me wishes I were there. I don't necessarily miss the long hours or the travel. I don't miss my suitcase or bad room service food or early hours and late nights. I do miss the people - it probably doesn't help that, as I mentioned, this is my favorite account so it's making it seem that much worse. If it were a different group maybe I'd feel less bummed.
I think what it really is, is that I feel left out.
Right now the busy travel season has started up at work, and everyone is on the road quite a bit, and I'm here. I'm missing out on the comaraderie with coworkers, on the funny road stories, and being one of the "returning warriors" after a long successful trip. I miss it.
In a lot of ways, I've been very glad to hand off accounts and projects and responsibilities, because honestly, no one would have ever stepped up and taken some stuff off my plate if they didn't *have* to, so it has forced a lot of growth and change here at work, which is a wonderful thing. (Plus I've gotten to unload some of my crummier projects as well!) Eventually, when and if I do start to travel again, I will be able to be a lot choosier about what projects I'll do, stepping into more of a senior role on big or important accounts, and letting other, newer people take over a lot of what I've done in the past. It's a good thing overall.
Plus, it's changing for a good reason. It's not like I'm being forcibly removed from my position - I chose this and I'm very happy I did. I know that all of these feelings will go away when I'm fully occupied with taking care of my child, and that it won't seem as big a deal, then. I know that I'll still be important, only now it'll be in someone else's little, tiny world.
Still. I knew this first event would be tough for me. It's the first real, tangible thing that has changed as a result of my becoming a parent. Yes, I know. The first of many. It's just hard to be the one who is here, and not there. It's hard for me to talk to my coworker and hear him tell me how great it's going and how much he likes my clients (mine! I've worked 5 years on that relationship!) It's hard for me to say to him, "Tell everyone hi from me!" and know how hollow and silly that is, and how it's really a plea for them not to forget me. It's hard to admit that I can be replaced. (How selfish and arrogant does that sound? Ugh.)
It's hard to know that part of "who I am" for the past 11 years is gone, and will be replaced with a "who I am" that I don't even know yet.
Monday, February 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Oh... {{{hugs}}} :(
Sometimes it helps just tp type out all those feelings. I hope that worked for you.
Changes are difficult and you'll be going through a lot of them. But they're all positive!! *smooches*
*hugs* I think your thoughts are completely natural. I'd have them, too! Obviously your clients love you. Just keep in touch in a different way for the next year. They'll be waiting to take you to dinner in 2008.
Can I have your FF miles? :-)
And, btw, frequent fliers always impress me.
Thanks for the hugs and thoughts.
I really did just need to type it out to even figure out why I was feeling bummed. I think the bottom line is that I'm in a weird sort of limbo right now where I can't do what I was doing, and yet I'm still waiting to actually start the new stuff. In the meantime, things are going on without me, and I hate being left out.
Kim, if you fly American Airlines to the Seattle peep meet let me know. I might have some upgrades or lounge passes that you and Nolay can use. I'm sure not using them! Don't fly American JUST for that if you find a better fare elsewhere - the lounges aren't *that* great.
(I have been offering them to people flying in for my baby shower, because I can't believe that anyone would actually spend money to fly in for something like that, and I want to do something nice for them. Not everyone is taking me up on it, though.)
Doesn't it feel good to get that out? And in a way, isn't it nice to know that you ahve some bloggy friends who get to listen and offer hugs?
I'm sure the transition is a difficult one. Maybe the next time that you are feeling left out, look at the prize you are getting in the long run. And? while thinking of that prize, maybe do something nice for yourself at the moments when you are feeling left out.
Take a nice bubble bath or go and buy something for the baby. Or? take off the bra, put your feet up, eat something fattening and delicious and say out loud "ha ha ha, those suckers are busting their butts, working hard, doing my job and eating crappy food. And here i am with no bra, no shoes and eating bon bons"
Or? When you feel a little down, go into your bathroom, llok in the mirror and make funny faces at yourself. That's gotta make you feel good. I know it does me. *grin*
*hugs*
It is such a transition I know. It is such an unknown too.
Your job was such a part of your identity and who you were/are. Is there any way you can still keep in it while you are on maternity leave?
Having bloggy friends and OT really does help. It is my way of staying connected to adults(sort of adults I should say)
We can have our own virtual playdates!
I resent Zombs calling us adults. *poots*
Sorry Frod for pooting in your blog. But it was necessary.
*hugs* Frodis. That does sound scary, to feel like you're becoming someone you don't even know.
I know it is something that my sister struggles with-- Just being known as Tate's mom, and not feeling like she is the person she used to be. But I also know she wouldn't change it for anything. :)
Your post resonates with me so strongly.
I'm not pregnant, but I'm coming up on "now or never" time.
Who I am is defined hugely by my job. I don't consider myself a wife, a supporter, a nuturer, a homemaker. (I mean, I am a wife, but that's way down on the list of qualities I would use to define myself) I think that makes it much more difficult to switch into a mother role.
On the other hand, I've observed that having a baby totally rots your brain and the most independent women become cooing mommies quite cheerfully.
It's a little cultlike really.
Post a Comment