Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Linking etiquette

Dear new bloggy friends,

What is the etiquette on linking? I would like to add links to the people who have kindly linked me, and to others, but I don't know if the proper approach to this is to ask each individual person first, or just go ahead and link. . . or what.

So. Can I link you?

13 comments:

mtw said...

I think if the peeps you want to link are commonly linked on other's blogs, then you should go ahead and link. If you had a very wide circle of blog friends outside of "the group", then you might want to ask for permission, but otherwise, I think it's okay to just add the links.

Of course, I shouldn't really speak for anyone else. You may link me. And zombs. I'll speak for her.

kim (weltek) said...

Links...so much work!

Super etiquette person would post on each persons blog asking for permission.

Most frequent acceptable etiquette? If it's linked lots of other places, it's probably ok for you to link it. If it's only linked one or two other places, you might want to ask.

FWIW, you have my permission to link me.

Puffy said...

I've gone both ways. *double meaning intended* OK to link me. May I link you?

frodis said...

Thanks! I'll ask. I won't be linking anyone who isn't already fairly well linked anyway.

I don't have a huge circle of blog friends - my old blog had 3 friends, 2 of which are people I know in person. Not to sound pathetic or anything, but. . .

Puffy, yes, you may link me!

mm said...

The only thing I ask is to be placed on the top of your list and usually with an exclamation mark after my name. (see Nutzy's blog for proper linkage of me)

Or, you can ignore my request like everyone else does and just add me with the commoners. *sigh*

Aislinn Sirk said...

You may link me and then you can wander around my blog and ask that I link you, which I most likely won't (see Swami, Meemo and someone else for examples).

If someone has a blog linked to their profile (as opposed to hidden) and comments on your blog then linking them is fine (in my opinion). Other people have semi-secret blogs that are only linked in a couple of places and no link off their profile. Those people should be asked.

The easiest thing to do is just ask (like you did) and see who wants a link.

frodis said...

MM, I hope I have linked to your satisfaction. You can have the special "#1 with an exclamation point" spot until someone outbids you.

You're linked too, Bob. I'll just poke around on your blog and won't ask you to link me, hoping maybe you'll just do it. I certainly don't want the "Nutzy the super greedy" treatment. Or maybe I do. . .

mm said...

WooHoo! Thanks Froody! :)

*feels all special*

Seana said...

You can link me if you like, but I've had it with that code page and am not changing my links. So you may feel left out when you come to visit me and don't see yourself linked.

Jen said...

You can link me if you'd like. (I'd like to be under MM, exclamation point optional)

I haven't added links to my own blog. I just use Bravie's links to navigate everywhere. But she doesn't have you linked yet, so I have to hunt around for someone who does when I want to visit you. (Thanks MTW!)

Zombs said...

This reminds me....I want some sausage.

Zombs said...

MTW spoke for me already becasue he was busy giving me a Dutch Oven.

~Nutz said...

You may link me! ...and if you're cool like Bob, I will get 4 links. ;-)

I need to fix my links and add you, but I've been too lazy to do it.