Friday, March 23, 2007

No baby

I suppose it was bad to do an "action in babyland" post and then disappear. Sorry.

There has been no further action in babyland and I didn't expect there to be any - Zombs is right, I can be stalled right where I am for several weeks and still wind up going past the due date. I'm kind of excited to have gotten to the point where I'm already talking about dilating and effacing, but I'm really not ready for it to go any further, yet.

I've been scarce lately because I've been super horribly over busy at work. I have a big project, for which my responsibilities officially end next Friday, but until then I'm getting hundreds of emails a day about it that I have to deal with. (Literally hundreds. Yesterday I spent the afternoon paring my Inbox down from 943 messages to 506.) People are helping out but there's just not a lot that anyone can do.

Last year when I worked on this, I wasn't pregnant so I was working until 9:30 each night and coming in on Saturdays and Sundays to keep on top of everything, but this year I just can't do that.

My biggest problem when I get overwhelmed is that I tend to get to a point where I just shut down. The work will be piling up and all I can do is sit and stare at it and want to go home and crawl into bed and pretend the work doesn't exist. I've always had that problem - in high school freshman year I failed World History, not because I didn't know what was going on, but because there was too much homework and I couldn't get it done. So instead of doing at least *some* of it, I ignored it all and pretended it didn't exist. Kind of stupid, right? I did fine on tests, but got a big zero for homework - I wound up re-taking it in summer school. Lesson learned, but the tendancy is still there.

So two days ago I felt it - I had this huge inbox full of email that I had to respond to and didn't know where to start and I really just wanted to shut down my mail program and play on the internet all day. I know myself by now and know this is what I do, so I basically asked some people in the office for help and explained to them that I tend to shut down when I'm overwhelmed, and asked them to help me and make sure I wouldn't check out.

It sucked, but once I made a dent in the Inbox it got better. Yesterday was much of the same, and today I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can't wait until next Friday when it's all over and someone takes this thing on-site and I can turn on the autoresponder on the email that says, "you missed the deadline, dumbass, go away."

So. High stress week.

9 comments:

Bravie said...

*hugs* Sorry about the stress, Froody.

Aislinn Sirk said...

oh this is going to turn into some sort of cervix blog isn't it?

I think there should be an official cervix warning colour on such blogs to attract Montsy and Coco and warn everyone else.

frodis said...

Ahem. My cervix is fascinating.

It could eventually turn into a poop blog, so be careful what you wish for.

Bravie said...

Hey!!! I don't like to kick pregnant women but i will. My blog is the poop and fart and burp blog. Hrmph.
*grin*

kim (weltek) said...

*hugs* Sounds a bit stressful.

If it makes you feel any better, I get EXACTLY the same way when I'm overwhelmed with work.

Jen said...

Good for you asking for help instead of going in to shutdown mode. Hang in there. Only 5 more days!

Zombs said...

Yay cervix time! Bob loves this!

Rubs Froddy's lower back and feet.

You are in the home stretch now. I can't believe you are this focused on your job still. I could not even stay focused on my two kids and I had no job. Oh and please if you need too...feel free to whine all you want.

I understand. Really I do.

Zombs said...

OH and Bravy kicked me when I was pregnant too.

I ended up having the baby on her birthday too. She is old enought to be her grandma!

Puffy said...

Is "dumbass" one word or two? Tell us about the shower.