Friday, October 30, 2009

I love black and white photos

But I never really know what to do with them. My kids don't seem to be the kind of kids that get captured in those precious black and white moments - a little girl smelling a flower, a precious slumbering baby. . . my kids are always giggling, rolling around and making goofy faces.

I was fiddling around and made this.



I might frame in in a black frame with a white matte and hang it somewhere. I can't decide if it's too busy and maybe it would be better to just have it be one picture. Hm. That bottom-right picture of Jeff makes me laugh.

I'm thinking about doing photo gifts for grandparents, aunts, uncles, godparents, etc. from L&J this year. Not sure if I'm going to use a photo of both kids together or give everyone two gifts, one of Lauren and one of Jeff. We usually have a Christmas photo taken of the cousins on Mr. Fro's side, but due to family strife I do not believe that will happen this year. So, I'm going to take L & J for Christmas photos on my own.

My mom's birthday is also coming up and I was thinking about possibly getting her a photo bracelet charm of the kids. My mom likes jewelry and charms, and she likes my kids, so it seems like a good combination. Although, a few years ago, I bought her a charm bracelet and put charms of all of our dearly departed pets on in. (A lab, a poodle, three birds, a fish and a hamster.) Sounds weird but it was actually funny and sweet, and pretty in sterling silver. So, the charm bracelet thing has been "done" already. Still, one of those chunky silver singly-charm bracelets with a photo of the kids on it might be nice. It seems "grandma-ey" but she IS a grandma.

In January each year I've put together a Shutterfly hard cover photo book of Lauren's Year in Review. I've had lots of fun with the two she has so far, and I'm really looking forward to doing hers this year and doing one for Jeff.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too love them. And, like you, I never capture those special B&W moments either. My niece (okay Michael's niece) did something with some pictures using Picassa from Yahoo where she took some ordinary photos and made one thing in there color. Tkit has a special camera that does this I think. I remember her doing it with one of the dogs and a tennis ball.

My New Year's Resolution is definitely to get caught up and do more with scrapbooking. Part of my slack has been due to the injury, the other to Facebook games, and the other to it now being holiday season, and I want to do my cards.

I have always struggled with how to begin and end a scrapbook. I think I have decided to do them by year with the front and back page being collages of pictures from the year. That way, if I decide to go with a book that has a window in it (which I normally steer away from), I can frame the page so that the year comes through the window.

I had some really cute B&Ws of Conner from when he was 2 hanging on one of the walls at the house. I just changed them out to some pictures from this year, none of which looked good in B&W.

Your kids are just so darn cute. That one of Jeff makes me laugh as well. But then I see Lauren and picture her little personality as you've described here and laugh at her as well.

Swami said...

I love the photo collage and I don't think it looks too busy at all.

I say go with one photo of both kids together for most people, and maybe include smaller individual photos of each kid for the grandparents.

I never did the Christmas photo thing (as in formal portrait) and I have always kind of regretted that.

My mom would have been totally non-plussed to receive a bracelet with dearly departed pets on it, lol. I guess we have different memories of just how beloved our pets were.

Zombs said...

oooh photography and kid talk!!!!

Lovely pictures. Not too busy. If you feel that way maybe take out the 2nd little picture of the two of them? I dont know it's so cute though!

Sometimes black and white is overused so don't worry about that. I usually like the black and white when there is intersting lighting already in the pictures. The only way to really tell is to experiment. Sepia comes out nice too as does "antique" and making the edges blurry. I experiment through flickr.

They are so cute and they make my heart melt. Nice photos!

yvonne said...

Gorgeous kids! I love black and white pics. I took a b&w photography class years ago and loved it. We developed our pics and everything. My dad made me a makeshift darkroom in the basement. Good times!

Photo gifts are always great. I wish I had more pictures of my nephews when they were little.

Puffy said...

Perfection. I love it just the way it is. Your recipients will like the B & W because it's different than other pictures. Photos are a great gift. There's also the "grandma" charm on a gold chain. We gave that to the grandmas one year.

Tummy said...

Love the black and whites too. And anything with those two in it is great.

kim (weltek) said...

What a great idea to do the Shutterfly album. I'm sure your mom would love the charm idea.

I also love B&W pics. It seems my faves are the ones where the person is not looking at the camera. I particularly love sepia toned pics-more so than B&W, even.