I know you're all interested in an update. I'd have been quicker to post one but I've been on the phone with my mother in law all morning.
Feud 1: FIL vs his sister.
Mr. Fro's aunt and uncle did come. They were lovely and pleasant. The aunt cornered me in the bathroom and went on about how happy they were to be invited and how much it meant to them and how sorry she is that the problems between her and her brother affected the kids and then she started to tear up and I wrapped up the convo and escaped. Then, my mother in law this morning mentioned that it was nice to see them, that they were the most pleasant they've ever been, that they all talked and laughed and hugged and that it meant a lot to Mr. Fro's grandmother to see everyone all together.
Kumbya, baby.
Feud 2: We only get to sing one verse of Kumbya because Feud 2, BIL vs SIL got worse. So the original plan was that BIL was going to come to the church and stand in the back for the baptism, and then not come to the lunch, and that his family (wife and kids) would not come at all. Remember, that my MIL and FIL are currently living with BIL's family while waiting to move into their new house.
Apparently my MIL and FIL had a sit-down with BIL and tried to get him to change his mind but it just got worse. (Which, I could have told you would happen, my PILs need to STAY OUT OF IT.)
BIL did not show up to the church.
My FIL told Mr. Fro that BIL had the flu. I shrugged, whether that was true or not it would have been nice if he had called us to say that so that we wouldn't be looking for him. No one asked me where they were but they did ask my MIL and FIL and they sold the flu story.
So MIL called me this morning to ask if BIL had called me to say that he really did have the flu. I said no. She explained that it's true, that he really did, but she's mad that he didn't call us. My feeling is pretty much still *shrug*.
Then she goes on and on about how she's going to start laying down the law and how, if BIL doesn't come around, we're going to see wrath like we've never seen it before. (Like THAT's going to make things better.)
I mentioned a few times that maybe the best thing to do is to stay out of it, and she said that she can't. Well, then, I anticipate that I will have a front-row seat for the fireworks for years to come.
Finally, because this is what's important, the baptism itself was very nice. Jeff was adorable in his little white suit, Lauren wore a pretty pink and white dress that floated up when she spun around so she spent a lot of time spinning. The people who did come had a great time and hung around at the restaurant for a really long time which was great. The restaurant let me create the mini-menu that the guests had to order from, and I chose the following options: Steak sandwich, chicken marsala with potatoes and asparagus, tilapia with spinach and sun dried tomatoes, and a salad with grilled chicken, candied walnuts, bleu cheese, and roasted apples. Mr. Fro, who really needs to stay out of anything that has anything to do with planning, told me that I didn't need to put tilapia on there because no one would order it. I left it on there because I know better. The final breakdown?
3 salads (I had one, that's the dish I wanted so I was putting it on here whether anyone else ordered it or not.)
3 chicken marsalas
9 steak sandwiches
14 tilapias.
14!
HA!
He also didn't want me to have an open bar but I had one anyway. No one really drank much - which I knew would be the case - so we got to be gracious enough to have the open bar and no one had to pony up cash, and it only cost us about $70. (The drink of choice among those who were drinking was the Bloody Mary. There were 8 of them consumed.)
My biggest pet peeve about Mr. Fro is that he can't seem to understand that just because HE doesn't like something doesn't mean that other people don't like it. We have this battle constantly over little dumb stuff but I was quite triumphant yesterday that the tilapia was indeed a good option on the menu.
He also put his foot in his mouth and managed to unintentionally insult my mom so I'm trying to decide whether to try to clean that up for him or just let it drop.
Stay tuned for more from the family in law drama. With the holidays coming I'm sure there will be more stories to tell.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wow!
I've been thinking about this a little. i know you said your house is not set up for long-term visitors. I really don't need much room - the sofa would be fine, and I will not run up your bar tab. :)
At least you got one kumbaya out of it. Perhaps the magic of the season will bring more?
*hugs*
I need a drink after that. :-) So glad the aunt thing worked out well. Sounds like everyone was mature about it. The BIL thing? Not so much. MIL & FIL really do need to just let them know they aren't supportive of this argument and they feel it's damaging to the family and let it go at that. As you said, MIL's "wrath" is only going to make things worse. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that.
I think your menu sounds perfect. Chris and I will have a steak sandwich and a salad, with a bloody mary for him and iced tea for me. Thank you.
I might have suggested not having an open bar, but you are right, at that time of day, for that event, it wasn't going to get used much. You are smart.
I'm happy that it went well. It was nice that you could let the guests order from a few choices. I'd have taken the salad, too. Open bars are good P.R.
Post a Comment