Lauren and Jeff had check-ups at the doctor yesterday.
Jeff was there only a month ago so the only thing to report with him is that he's up to 18 pounds, 11 ounces and got four shots. He wasn't happy about the shots, and I was surprised that he gained over a pound-and-a-half in the last month. He's been very distracted while eating lately since he's noticed so many fun and interesting things going on around him. He'll eat for a few minutes, stop and look around, laugh at Lauren, play with my hair, then eat a little more, then look out the window. . . I was convinced that he wasn't eating as much since he spends so much time goofing around but apparently he's very efficient.
Lauren hadn't been in for six months, so there was more to talk about with her. I had a few questions - about flu vaccines and the fact that I've noticed that Lauren grinds her teeth at night. Because she's 30 months old there was a developmental survey that I had to fill out with questions about her speech and motor skills and stuff like that. She's doing extremely well. She cracked everyone up because the doctor asked if she can put together simple 4-5 word sentences, and Lauren asked her, "Why did the chicken cross the road?" The doctor said, "why?" and Lauren said, "to get to the other side! HAhahahahaha!" The doctor laughed and said that clearly, yes, she can put together 4-5 word sentences. I told her not to get Lauren started because she's got about 10 jokes that she tells now and she finishes up with "Thanks, I'll be here all week!" (really, she does.) The doctor also asked Lauren to stand up and jump and Lauren not only jumped but she threw in a twist and a butt wiggle. She cracked everyone up.
The doctor gave me some suggestions for dealing with naptime (Lauren has been refusing to nap lately) so I am going to try a sticker reward chart on the wall. Lauren likes stickers so maybe that will help me get her to take her naps again. I hope.
Since I quite clearly remember the last doctor visit, when Lauren was 2 and Jeff was a month old and they both melted down on me, I decided to prepare Lauren for what would happen. We practiced standing on the scale here at home so that when we got there she'd know what to do. She was a little nervous but she didn't cry and she did a good job listening to the nurse. Lauren asked if she was going to get a shot and if it was going to hurt, and I told her that it might but that'd give her a hug if it did. (I didn't want to lie and tell her it wouldn't hurt.) So when it came time for her shot, she was pretty calm. The nurse gave it to her, Lauren looked up at me and said, "I need a hug, mom" so I hugged her, but she didn't cry. Then she said, "that wasn't so bad." Whew.
We stopped at McDonalds on the way home to pick up dinner. I like to celebrate good healthcare with crappy food. I also like to play that insidious Monopoly game.
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I think Conner and Lauren would make a good team.
This is reminding me that I need to schedule his visit. 6!
LOL at efficient Jeff. I still can't believe he is six months old. :)
I used to play that Monopoly game. I used to love it.
Lauren continues to take after her mommy. You realize that, no? Way to prove to the doc she knows her stuff. :-)
I would not need a sticker to nap.
Is McDonald's craptasticnochanceinhellofwinning back? I'm there.
Taking 2 kids to the doctor is twice as much fun, isn't it? Practising was a good idea.
Lauren sounds like the kind of kid who makes pediatricians happy. I used to work in a research lab with pediatricians, who saw many very sick kids all the time. They absolutely loved moment-of-sunshine visits from bright & happy kids like Lauren.
P.S. I earned a sticker earlier today! *holds out hand*
You're such a great mom. Doctors have to screen for autism now, so part of the speech and motor skill testing was for that, too. I hope you have Lauren and Jeff on video.
I'd like a scratch and sniff sticker because I napped today.
Post a Comment