Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Random!

1. Lauren had her 18 month checkup yesterday. Her cold is a lot better and she's doing well. The doctor commented on how smart Lauren is. *Beams!* She got four shots, poor kiddo. Her next check up isn't for six months, or, right around the time Dos Equis gets here.

2. There's a commercial on TLC for an upcoming program about purity balls. Now, the first two times I heard it I wasn't really looking at the TV, so when I heard "purity balls" my mind went a-spinning about what a purity ball could possibly be and where, exactly one would put it. I was imagining something that looked sort of like a cue ball, so yeah, welcome to my brain. When I finally saw the commercial, I realized that it's a dance, like, a cinderella ball. Oooooh. The girls wear white and sign purity contracts. The creepiest part of the commercial is a dad who says, on behalf of his daughter, "wouldn't it be cool to say that I've only kissed one man my whole life?" Um. No. That would not be cool.

Mr. Fro saw the commercial last night and he said, "it's only cool for the dad who doesn't want to think of his daughter doing anything he doesn't want her to do. Everyone else thinks it sucks." I wondered what exactly purity means if kissing more than one person is not considered "pure." Why not put a bag over your daughter's head and auction her off to the suitor with the highest dowry? I kind of want to watch the show but I'm afraid it will make me mad.

3. Related to #2. What is the obsession with purity? What happens if you break your purity contract? Does someone take away your purity balls? Isn't forcing young women to be "pure" and holding it against them if they're not something that we consider barbaric in other cultures?

4. I have a yummy chopped salad for lunch.

5. My sisters in law and I are taking all 5 kids for Christmas portraits next week. The girls have matching dresses and the boys are wearing matching sweaters. It was fun and cute last year so hopefully we'll get a good one this year, too. I really wanted to take Lauren for 18 month portraits all on her own, but now I'm not sure if I should spend money on two sets of portraits. The thing is, I have this adorable dress that I want her to wear for her individual portraits, and it's not going to fit her much longer. Dilemma, dilemma.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Yay for her feeling better. Colds just flat out suck. Especially in young children. Conner has his five-year checkup in two weeks. I know he has to get a flu shot. I hope that's the only one. I can't remember if he has to get anything else or not. I thought we did it all last time and that he won't need anything for a while. I just can't remember.

2. Interesting. I totally thought "dance" when I started reading this, but then I giggled at the thought of it being an actual thing to wear.

3. I could be off here, but I'm going to venture a guess. I think it's more of a way to try to make a big deal in trying to reduce teen sex. I hear horror stories all the time of how "cool" it is for girls to give BJs, etc. I hear all the time about how cool it is to have sex.

I think it sounds kind of corny myself, but I also think it's an attempt to do something different. And I do agree with you about the "creepiness" factor there.

4. Did you make the salad or did you have it out? I find that I like chop salads from restaurant much better than my own. What about the dressing? And the cheese?

5. Can you have an individual portrait done while you are getting the group shot? And can you buy just one of one of them?

Swami said...

1. I'm glad she's feeling better!

2. Tom shaves his and that makes them "purity balls." Okay, TMI.

I think it's a bit creepy too. Not the idea of promoting abstinence for your kid but the whole idea of dressing up and dancing with Daddy while you do it. That's strange. And where are the balls for pure boys? Do they dance with Mommy? Where are the balls for honesty, loyalty, generosity and all the other 'itys?

3. I think if you break the contract you can re-up. At least in some of the groups I have heard about on TV. And yes, this seems like baby-steps to an honour killing to me.

4. I have a chicken breast portion that is begging me to make a white sandwich from it. White bread, white mayo and white breast meat. I think today I will call it my Purity Sandwich. :)

5. I have never regretted a single portrait I had taken of my kids. I wish I had more of them!

Bravie said...

It's really cool to watch my fellow OT/blogger's children grow up on my screen. I hope ya'll keep these blogs so you can look back on all of the events that you have kept track of with your children.

Puffy said...

Yay for a smart doctor who realizes a brilliant child when he sees her.

I was watching the TLC show about a family with 17 kids, I think it's the Dugger family. The oldest son proposed to his girlfriend. They held hands, awkwardly. They're not going to kiss until they get married. *puke*

I suggest getting individual pictures of Lauren on the same day as the group shot. Bring along the other dress for a wardrobe change.