Sunday, October 26, 2008

I got nothin'

I've been trying to come up with an interesting update, but there's not much going on here these days.

Lauren had her first real cold. She had a little one at Thanksgiving last year but it barely caused concern. This time I was a little worried about her because Friday morning she woke up flaming hot and with this awful, deep nasty cough. I called the doctor and said, "this is her first real cold, so I'm just wondering what's normal for a little-kid cold and whether I should bring her in." The nurse said that it sounded like a normal cold, so just watch her and let her fight it. That's pretty much what I thought they'd say, so, I was happy with that answer. Fortunately, the fever broke fast and the cough is already getting better, so all is well.

Unfortunately, I, too, have the cold. Mr. Fro actually stayed home Friday to take care of us. He didn't really have to since I seem to have cold-lite, but I wasn't about to tell him not to, especially since Lauren has been his little buddy lately. Today I'm making turkey soup with drop noodles, which should hopefully cure us all. (The cold originated with Mr. Fro.)

I'm glad there are only a few days left until the election. I enjoy election time, but I really dislike the us vs. them politics. Actually, I like the thoughtful discussions and debate, and the back and forth about candidates and issues. I love, LOVE, the numbers and maps. I don't even mind when people won't budge from their stated position, I mean, it's fine to have your principles and beliefs. I do lose respect for people when they get wildly hyperbolic and say ill-informed or just plain ridiculous things just to be contrary, or just to stick to their party. If your guy is "winning" it just sounds like hubris and sore-winner taunting. If your guy is "losing" it sounds like desperation and sour grapes. Meh.

In other news, I started feeling Numero Dos moving around this week. That's fun. :)

11 comments:

Bravie said...

Well now I know where I got MY cold. Hrmph.
I'm with ya on the elections. This is an important one but man am I ever sick of it already. At least the mudslinging from both sides. Icky.

Puffy said...

I feel a leg! No, that's a rib. I'm glad that Lauren's cold didn't last long. Lucky you, she'll be running around like normal soon.

Breezy said...

The mudslinging is extremely disturbing.

Glad Lauren's cold didn't last too long.

Tummy said...

Does turkey soup cure the cold the way a chicken soup does? :)

Awwww a little fluttering in the belly, eh? I loved that.

See, I'm still crushin' on Mr Fro. Any man that will stay home to take care of his girls is way crushworthy.

mtw said...

Huh? I must be slow on the uptake. When did you announce Numero Dos???

Soup sounds really good! :)

I can't wait for the election to be over. I'm already composing my sour grapes/angry/upset blog post in my head. It will be short, to the point, and comments will be off.

The mudslinging is so bad there's even a chance I'll vote for a local democrat who's policies I despise simply because I hate her opponents ads so much. Her ads are probably just as bad, but I'm not hearing them constantly.

Anonymous said...

Zicam people, Zicam!

Oh wait, probably not a good idea for younger than 3 or prego. Hmmm. Turkey soup, people, turkey soup.

And OJ! I know that's okay.

Frody, I don't think you should ever worry about calling your doctor, and I'm sure it will be easier with Number Dos. Coughs absolutley suck. I would watch for her making any wheezing sounds. And an extended cough that just doesn't get better.

*hugs*

I don't envy you on that one. I think it's probably good that she is just now getting her first real one because she has had over a year for her lungs to be super, duper health.

I'm glad you still love me even though I am "sticking" with my candidate. *smirk* That's what I interpret you to say anyway. You still lvoe me.

frodis said...

Damaging winds done some hoodoo voodoo on my internet on Sunday, so I've been offline for a bit. *shakes fist at wind*

Yes, Bravie, I was secretly hanging out in the corn maze last weekend breathing germs on all of the yokels running around in there. *evil laugh*

Sorry, MTW. I didn't exactly announce it at all really. I just sort of let the news ooze slowly around.

Boo, I enjoy reading your political thoughts because you state your reasons and opinions, you consider others, and you don't make wildly over the top statements. I feel that way about people on both sides who manage to stick to the issues and how they impact them, and therefore make a choice based on that. I respect that. Insisting that we're all going to become socialists (one side) or that we're all going to be living in Jesus camp (other side) is exasperating and annoying. I haven't seen you do that. You go ahead and stick with your choice.

Incidentally, my mother makes bizarre over the top hyperbolic statements. The post was partly inspired by her. She's great, but I can't listen to her talk politics.

So yes, I lvoe you. *smooch*

Also, you're right about calling the doc. Lauren actually had her scheduled 18-month check up today and she's doing great. Part of why I wasn't too freaked is that I knew we had the appointment coming up today.

Tummy, turkey soup is totally and completely different from chicken soup, but it has healing properties. It's a family recipe and it's delicious. The drop noodles are gut busters, though.

kim (weltek) said...

You should name the baby Dos Equis. :-)

I have big plans to stay up late on election night & watch the mapping, too.

Swami said...

Isn't it cool how with your second pregnancy you recognize that little tickle inside immediately as the movement of a baby? I love that secret, baby-inside feeling of the early months. It's the best part of pregnancy, and way better than the feeling months from now when baby will be able to kick your sciatic nerve and bladder at the same time while simultaneously spilling your tea.

I hope Lauren is feeling better today! My morning paper informed me yesterday that the places where cold germs linger the longest in most households is on the TV remote and the handle of the refrigerator.

I like socialists and Jesus people both. I poke them with this little stick I have for such purposes.

I also love interactive maps and charts and stuff! This is my current favorite chart. I don't think linky things work in comments, but maybe you can paste it or something.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/10/18/business/20081019-metrics-graphic.html

I want one of those drag & drop maps of the 50 states. And I want to bounce Michigan. Who bounced Michigan? Was that the Daily Show?

Swami said...

Part of the link address is missing. I'll try it one more time, putting in some hard breaks that will probably make it unpastable. But oh well:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/
2008/10/18/business/
20081019-metrics-graphic.html

frodis said...

Swami, the link worked for me and I love that chart. Interesting to see the ups and downs in one glance like that.

Oh, and SNL Weekend Update bounced Michigan. I laughed out loud at that (and I want one of those maps, too.)