Monday, October 13, 2008

Chex Mix

I love Chex Mix.

When I was little, I used to spend a lot of time at my next door neighbor's house. She was a third grade teacher, and her husband worked for the airline so he was very often out of town. I called her Mrs. Ruth. She was very crafty - she cooked and baked and sewed and made dolls. She taught me how to make ice cream in an old crank ice cream machine with rock salt. She tried to teach me how to sew but I was hopeless. We used to paint and work in her garden. I always thought we were playing, but thinking about it now she got some cheap help out of me. I remember once she had me lifting up her patio bricks while she sprayed underneath them for ants. I also used to like to clean her birdbath because I got to use the pressure hose, which was fun. I used to bring my dolls over there and she'd make clothes for them. When I was 9, Mrs. Ruth took me and my brother along with her third grade class to go see the Bozo Show. Bucket #1 in the Grand Prize Game always included a prize for everyone in the audience, and I *always* wondered what it was. Turns out - it was Toblerone. Do kids like Toblerone?

She used to make her own Chex Mix and kept it in a big jar in her basement. She called it "Munchies." I ate a lot of it. I couldn't get enough. My mom always knew when I'd spent the day at Mrs. Ruth's house because I'd come home with garlic breath. (Side note: my mom loved me spending so much time over there - free babysitting and unbeknownst to me, whenever I went over there, Mrs. Ruth would turn on her back porch light so my mom knew I was there so she never had to look for me.)

I always associate Chex Mix with Mrs. Ruth. In my mind, proper Chex Mix contains two kinds of Chex (the crispy yellow ones and the crunchier brown ones) pretzel twists, and peanuts. That's IT. For a while, the store bought Chex Mix was a reasonable substitute for Munchies.

In college, my roommate and I were having a late night craving so we went to the store and bought Chex Mix. Imagine my utter horror and disappointment when I found that they'd changed the recipe. The peanuts were GONE. There were a bunch of other little pieces of crap in there: breadsticks, bagel chips, some kind of square pretzels. Bad. Mad! I actually called the 800-number on the bag and complained. They sent me two coupons for free bags of Chex Mix. Considering that I was angry at Chex Mix, I never used them. (normally I do like bagel chips and breadsticks, but not in my Munchies.)

Every once in a while now, I buy a bag of Chex Mix and get mad at it all over again. I think it's time to make my own.

In case you were wondering, Mrs. Ruth eventually retired and moved to Arizona. She lives there now, close to her daughter and granddaughters. When Lauren was born, she sent a really beautiful hand-made quilt that she made especially for Lauren. It was very sweet and touching, and it's a true sentimental treasure.

Of course, I had secretly hoped that she'd send Munchies.

11 comments:

mtw said...

What a sweet memory to share with us Frodis. :)

I agree with you that Real Chex mix rocks and the package stuff is no substitution for it.

In our old house, we had a next door neighbor named Ruthie. My older daughter used to spend a lot of time over here when she was young and Ruthie became like a special Aunt. We moved away six years ago, but still see her every now and then. You were a lucky girl to have Mrs. Ruth in your life!

Puffy said...

What a nice, sentimental story! The chex cereal boxes always had recipe for making the mix, which I've made a few times. Now when you buy the pre-made mix, you can find several varieties, such as salty or sweet.

LOL at the cheap help, free babysitting, and red porch light!

Jen said...

Whew! I was reading this with an impending sense of doom, fully expecting the last sentence to be that Mrs. Ruth had passed away. Glad to be wrong about that one!

I don't think I've ever had Chex Mix, original or imposter variety.

maroonclown said...

Mom used to bake "nuts and bolts" which was way better than store bought "bits and bites" It had the chex mix stuff from your childhood but with the addition of cheerios.
I used to take a pretzel and see how many cheerios I could fit on and then pop the whole thing in my mouth.

And the more worchester sauce, the better.

Your Mrs. Ruth sounds like a treasure. So many good, happy kid memories.

Breezy said...

What a great memory.

And I agree about the lack of nuts in Chex Mix and forget about the Peanut kind. It sucks, doesn't even have the same seasoning. I always add a can of peanuts to my Chex Mix.

Swami said...

What a lovely story, Fro! I especially like how she left the light on so your mom knew where you were.

I grew up eating Nuts n Bolts at a neighbor's house too! Clarice's Nuts n Bolts were two kinds of Chex cereal, pretzel sticks (never twists) and cheerios, slathered with garlic powder, worcester sauce and melted butter, then baked to crispy perfection. No peanuts. The Mix felt kind of greasy on the hand - but was totally, utterly yummy!

I like the package mixes okay, but only the Bold Party and Traditional ones. The cheesy one is just gross and the other varieties are tastless. Tom bought me a bag of Dark Chocolate Chex Mix this past week. It was kind of weird, Chex mix lightly sweetened with dark chocolate, and dark chocolate covered pretzel twists. I ate it but I would never buy it for myself.

There was a Bozo Show?

I hated those Toblerone bars! Icky!

kim (weltek) said...

You have such a storytelling gift. Lauren and mysterybabyname will love having you share these things as they get older.

FWIW, I hate having pretzels in my chex mix. Chex and rye chips would make me happiest.

Anonymous said...

*covers Frody's ears*

I LOVE Chex Mix, and I really wish she would have sent me the coupons. Conner likes the cheesy one, but he only eats the triangles and the corn chex, not the brown. He calls it "your chex" meaning it's Mommie's Chex.

That is a sweet story. You were cheap help, and she was a cheap babysitter. Love the part about the light.

Aislinn Sirk said...

This is not related to ChexMix. I was just doing the blog rounds and found out you are pregnant again. Congrats!

Bravie said...

I had to read this twice because originally I thought you were talking about GORP. And as Breezy and Boo can tell you, that is an achille's heel for me. So I was pissed through the entire post. Then I realized it was Chex and not GORP and I stopped being pissed. *grin*

kim (weltek) said...

Haven't we moved beyond snack food by now? I hear your appetite is back.

Bravie loves raisins. I saw her gobble some up. :-)