It's a rite of passage, I guess. Yesterday, Lauren had her first real tantrum. It was over something very small and silly, but boy, was she mad.
Lately, she's been asking me to carry her everywhere. I don't know why, but it's getting kind of annoying. She calls herself "you", so whenever we get up to go somewhere, even if it's from the den into the kitchen, she puts her arms up and says, "carry you?"
So, yesterday, she wanted a snack, and wanted to go to the kitchen. I said okay, and we stood up. She said, "carry you?" and I said, "No, but I'll hold your hand while we walk." She turned red, and screamed, "No hold hand! Carry you!" I said, "No, I'm not going to carry you, but I will hold you hand while we walk." More screaming. She melted down so completely, that I figured, okay, we're at home, no one is around, and I have time, so I'm just going to stand my ground and see how long she keeps it up.
So, I sat down in front of her, so we were eye-level with each other, and I just calmly watched her scream, turn red, shake and cry. When she would start to lighten up, I'd quietly ask her, "Do you want to hold hands and go to the kitchen?" and she'd start up again, screaming "NO, CARRY YOU!" So I'd sit and watch her scream some more. Sometimes she put her head on my shoulder and screamed. I just hugged her, and would occasionally ask her again, "Do you want to hold hands...?"
It went on for almost 40 minutes. My right shoulder of my shirt was completely soaked with tears, drool, and snot. Kind of gross. I wanted to give in. I wanted to yell at her. I wanted to just pick her up and take her upstairs and put her in her crib and walk away. But, I didn't. I just sat there and spoke very quietly to her, and held my ground.
Finally she started to calm down a little, and I asked her if she wanted to hold hands to go into the kitchen to get some cheesecake bites. She sniffled and nodded. We stood up, she took my hand, and we walked into the kitchen. She sniffled and snuffled the whole time, but she wasn't crying anymore. We got to the kitchen, got the cheesecake bites, and walked back to the den. She took the container of cheesecake bites and popped one into her mouth, and chewed thoughtfully. (She'd never had a cheesecake bite before.) She nodded, and said, "Good cheese cake." Then she handed me one. I knew we were okay at that point.
Two more times yesterday afternoon and evening she asked me to "carry you?" and I said, "No, but we can hold hands." Both times she nodded and said, "Hold hands." So, success!
After dinner, it was time to head up to bed. She asked me to hold hands. We walked over to Mr. Fro, and when we got near him, she let go of my hand, and put her arms up to him and said, "Carry you?" He picked her up. She then held her hand out to me and said, "hold hands?" So, she managed to figure out the best of both worlds.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
That's cute. :) Well, the ending at least. Notsomuch the screaming and snotting.
*looks at Frodis with pleading eyes*
Cheesecake bite?
*holds out hand*
Wow. What an epic.
Both sides prepare for a showdown *cue music from old Western*
weapons drawn - snot and drool on one aide - rock hard shoulder of death on the other. Snot is thrown, shoulder catches, back and forth the battle goes.
Finally, exhaustion overtakes and the shoulder is victorius.
Enter the mediator to negotiate final terms and conditions. A little hand-holding on one side, a little cuddle-carry on the other.
All is right with the world.
*fade to black*
Oooh, that is the best. Nice job, Frodis. You did really well.
*pats Fro on the back*
That's a freakishly hard thing to do but you did it well. Good for you!
Too cute! She sure is a smart little cookie.
This story reminds me...
there has not been a picture of little Fro in some time.
*taps foot*
OMH, that is awesome. All of it. Even the comments. Especially MC.
Oh Frody I admire you. I wish I had done more of that when Conner was that age.
Best story ever. You did good, girl :)
Bre's first melt down was in the middle of Dillards, I can't remember what it was about but OMGosh it was horrible. I finally took her out to the car. Belted her in her carseat, rolled down the windows and sat on the hood watching her, I was crying the whole time too. I got awful looks *snort I got better with meltdowns.
Thanks everyone. Since I have been saving this blog as a bit of a journal of my life as a parent, I wanted to write this episode down. One of my moments of feeling like maybe I did the right thing. Especially since I've been working so much lately that I feel like I'm not giving her as much attention as I should.
Zombs, I'll post a photo soon. I have some cute Halloween ones.
Tummy, I did think about what I'd do if/when she does it in a store. Probably go to the car like you did.
WOW! First I was going to offer to wash your shirt for you. Then I was going to ask how you were able to stand it, to watch her tantrum for so long. It must have been heartbreaking.
Lauren's a fast learner. I love how she offered to hold hands with you, all the while having Daddy in the palm of her hand.
Cheesecake bites for everyone!!
Post a Comment