Thursday, May 31, 2007

The wide world

My parents want to take us (me and the baby) out to lunch today. I said, "sure" because instinct tells me never to turn down a free lunch.

I'm a little apprehensive, though. Aside from the doctor's office, we've only ventured as far as my in-laws house, and my brother-in-law's house. No public appearances yet for little miss Lauren.

She sleeps in the car seat while it's in the car - and, importantly - while the car is moving. Otherwise, she's not too fond of the car seat - I don't think she likes the straps. So I'm not exactly sure what she'll do in the restaurant. She'll probably need to be held. She was a little crankypants most of last night and I'm not certain that the crankypants are totally gone yet this morning, so yay, good timing for a public outing.

I'm worried about offending other restaurant-goers with a screamy baby.

So, cross your fingers for me. This should be interesting.

11 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

Good luck! If you don't start doing it, you'll end up as one of those parental shut-ins. Hopefully she'll be fairly quiet and you won't have to make too many trips outside. *smooch*

frodis said...

You were right, Kim. It just adds another thing to the list of "wtf do I know, anyway?"

She slept soundly, in the car seat, for most of lunch. She woke up hungry - which I knew she would - and my mom gave her a bottle. I changed her, and she went back into the car seat quite happily.

We just got home and she's conked out.

Whew. And yay.

Zombs said...

LOL Newbie.

I'm sorry but I think I was worried too the first time with the first.

Think about it though a newborn's cry is not loud at all. Like what happened...you pick her up tend to her and your done.

Now with #3 I had her at the supermarket, DD's dance class and out to eat all before she was 1 week old.

frodis said...

Zombs. You're my hero. You know, that, right?

Coco said...

Sure, zombs. Mock she who is wet behind the ears.

I'm glad it went well for you, Frodo. It's always nervewracking taking them somewhere when you don't know how they'll behave.

That's like, always. :D

kim (weltek) said...

That's a good point, zombs. A newborn's cry really isn't that loud.

LOL, so is lil Meggles mowing the lawn yet?

mtw said...

I remember when my oldest was a baby. She sometimes wouldn't fall asleep or stop crying unless we took her for a drive. I would drive out to the country and she'd sleep soundly while we were moving. Later, that "country" became the suburban neighborhood we moved to!

Infant cries are so soft it's almost cute. Wait 'til her lungs REALLY develop! THEN you can be mortified when you go out! ;)

kim (weltek) said...

Lauren told me she wants to go to lunch again tomorrow.

dragonflies said...

Yay! Glad it went well! You are lucky that it is nice weather. With DS, who was born in late Dec, I just stayed home and watched the OJ trial. Well, until I flew to Florida for a week. But he was 5 weeks old by then. LOL

I was so proud. The lady who was sitting behind me never even knew he was there. She told me that on the way off the plane.

Aislinn Sirk said...

A bottle?

She really should be learning some proper silverware manners by now, don't you think?

Swami said...

*glides into blog on too-small skates*
*gives new mom Fro a big, wet garlicky smooch – with tongue!*
*skates off to next blog, giggling like a maniac*