Monday, May 21, 2007

34

Today is my birthday.

I could say that a lot has changed in a year, but that would be a vast understatement.

Last year at this time, I don't even remember where I was. I know that I've had a streak for about 6 years now where I've been out of town on business on my birthday every year. So, I know I was somewhere, I just don't recall where.

This year, I haven't left the house since last week Sunday.

Last year, my personal lexicon included the word "poopy" but it was rarely used. Usually if I pulled that one out it was to describe someone's ratty personality or the countertops in my upstairs bathroom.

This year, I not only use the word "poopy" every day, but I have composed two whole songs about things that are poopy. (I'd sing them for you, but I'm hoping to enter both in that American Idol songwriter competition.)

Last year I had a measure of modesty. I could have told you with absolute certainty the fairly small number of people who had seen my hoo-ha and it would never even occur to me to mention my breasts in polite conversation.

This year, my modesty has been shredded into oblivion, a number of people approaching the population of a small country have peered into my nether regions, and I considered snapping a photo of my child breastfeeding just to capture the angelic look she has on her face during that time. (Fear not, I didn't actually do it - discretion took a final stand on that one and reminded me that a photo of a boobie is a photo of a boobie, no matter how utilitarian a pursuit in which it may be engaged.)

Last year my house was still in the utter chaos of a home remodel.

This year my home is mired in the utter chaos of baby gear.

Last year I was me, a fairly happy-go-lucky person who probably worked too hard and didn't sleep enough. I knew that I wanted to have children "someday" but I didn't know if I could really handle it. I'd worked hard for, gotten used to, and enjoyed my lifestyle. I could pick up and travel any old time I wanted to, and something about that freedom was very appealing. I didn't know if I was ready - or ever would be ready - to change all of that.

This year I'm someone's mom. I still don't sleep enough. I still worry that I won't be able to handle my life changing. I still can't believe that "someday" is here, and despite the 9 months of preparation, I still feel like someone should have made me pass an exam before handing me a baby and letting me take it home.

This year, I feel important, even if it's only to one little, tiny person, and even if it's only because, for now, I'm just the chuck wagon. Maybe I'm getting a little stir crazy being home, or maybe I'm just getting way too sappy, but I am awed that that little person depends on me. If there's anything she needs, I'd gladly do it for her. I think about the things I "gave up" and it's almost funny to me how important they seemed a year ago, and how I fretted about giving them up, when now they don't even register anymore on my personal scale of what's what.

Last year, I didn't "get it."

This year, I probably still don't really "get it" but at least now I've realized there's something there for me to get.

7 comments:

~Nutz said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Very cool post!

*babysmooches*

Aislinn Sirk said...

It's true.

Motherhood makes people total saps.

Puffy said...

Happiest of birthdays to you!

This is a poetic and heartfelt post.

I clicked on the photo to make it larger. She's precious.

Jen said...

This is a wonderful post. I must have a child I dont' know about somewhere, because I am a total sap too and this almost made me cry. :)

Happy Belated! *smooooooooch*

Schnookie said...

Happy belated b'day Frodis.

That was such a great post and a beautiful pic of the baby.

Swami said...

Happy belated birthday, Frodis. Your daughter is just beautiful! Your essay was lovely too.

By all means take a pic of your daughter nursing. You can always hide, burn or delete it, but you can never take it again once the nursing time is over.

Have you nursed her in a (fairly) public place yet?

dragonflies said...

Awww, what a beautiful pic Frodis! And a lovely post too. I agree with Swami, go ahead and snap that photo, but do it with a digital camera so you don't have to worry about the peeps at the photo developer copying it.

I know your birthday was a wonderful one! How could it not have been with such a wonderful gift!