Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I'm not good at this.

So.

This morning I popped Lauren in the stroller and took off the the nearby park. There is a group of moms there who do a fitness class with their kids in strollers. I figured I'd go over there to see what they do, what they're like, stop and ask a few questions about the class, etc.

We got to the park. I saw the moms exercising. I walked over toward them. I slowed down, smiled. . .

and kept on walking. I chickened out.

So then I continued my walk around the park feeling dumb.

Bah.

8 comments:

Bravie said...

At least you got in a good walk, yes?
Maybe keep up the walks past the women. Eventually they will start to recognize you and may talk to you first. Just look interested in them when you walk by. But not in a creepy way. *snort*

Tummy said...

Pick out one that looks friendly and walk until they look like they are finishing. Then casually stroll by and say Hi and take it from there, ya big wuss :)

Just do it.

Breezy said...

Yay you walked over there! That's a start. Now just build on that. Say "hi" to them and keep building.

Breezy said...

I just had a thought. Is Lauren outgoing or shy? If I let Ayla (when she was young) she would talk and play with anyone anywhere. Maybe let Lauren help you open the door to a conversation?

frodis said...

Lauren is very outgoing. When we walk around the park she waves at people from her stroller.

I'm totally trying to use her as my ticket in.

The group meets there Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so maybe I'll go again next Tuesday. (I was going to go today but Lauren wasn't keen on the idea of sitting in the stroller this morning.)

Yeah, I'm a dork.

Swami said...

Walking in on an established group is always rather intimidating. I think your plan of walking by 2 or 3 times looking for the right "in" is as good a way as any to break into the group.

Puffy said...

I know that I would have done the same thing. Breezy's comment reminded me of my son. He was always my ticket to meeting/greeting people.

Zombs said...

Or you could just say "Hey! What is this?" Act all interested and curious and naive. Then say you need freinds desperately and will they be your BFF? Bring them a bunch of t-shirts that you made saying "Mom's wih Ass" on it.

You will completely fit in.