My sister in law invited us for lunch today. She lives 51 miles away, so it's a bit of a drive. Still, it's nice to be invited, and I like my SIL, so I packed up the kiddo and went.
Because of the whole carseat-facing-backward thing, I'd purchased a mirror that mounts to the back seat, which I can position in such a way that lets me see Lauren in my rearview mirror. I set it up in the car today. I was feeling quite proud of myself because I'd found a mirror that also has lights and music, and a remote control that I can clip to my visor so that I can turn it on from the front seat. Neato, right?
I loaded it up with batteries. I got onto the highway. I hit the remote control. . .
You know how the plinky electronic music that comes out of kids' toys is possibly the most annoying sound ever? Well there's something more annoying. I must have grabbed some bummer batteries.
(You think you know where this is going, right? Nope.)
The batteries that I grabbed were bummers, but not total bummers. They had just enough juice to coax some sound out of the mirror, but the music was quite a bit slower than it should have been. Uh oh. I hit the remote again in the hopes that it would turn it off, but it didn't. Well, I thought, if the batteries are bad there's no way it's going to last very long.
Nope. It lasted the full 20 minutes. Now perhaps you think that 20 minutes isn't THAT long. Well, imagine 20 minutes listening to something that sounded like "Pop Goes the Weasel."
Played as a funeral dirge
By a New Orleans jazz trio
On kazoos.
I wanted to rip my ears off. Lauren, bless her, slept peacefully through the entire episode, leaving me alone with the Weasel Suicide March.
Ugh.
Thanks for the hairdresser advice. I think you're all right. Hairdressers are hard to come by and it doesn't really matter that I don't much like Richard. I do feel like I owe him at least a call back since he didn't just up and leave me like all the others did.
Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
Wait until you get a toy box and one of the toys is under something else and won't shut off. You dig and dig and just can't find it.
Oh and I saw her picture down there! She is just lovely! Thank you for putting one up! I love that discovering hands stage. My little Meggie chews on her feet.
Or wait until it goes off in the middle of the night, and you have to stumble around to find it and then you can't go back to sleep after.
Yay for your road trip. I remember the mirror, and I was glad to have it. The first time I took Conner to the doctor was a nightmare for me because I couldn't see him. I stopped a LOT to get out and go check on him to make sure he was okay. I was late to the appointment. I called, and when I showed up, they didn't dare say anything. I think I had that "don't mess with me today" Swami look on my face.
ROFLMAO! That? Was a precious story. Make sure if you ever quit blogging, that you print some of these off and keep in a safe place.
The mirror DOES sound way cool, in theory. I think I'd opt for no music, anyway. :-)
Oh, and I called for a haircut last night. My hairdresser has also left. I was, fortunately, indifferent about her. JJ will be cutting my hair next week. I wonder if JJ is a girl or boy.
Hilarious story. I never heard of those backseat baby musical mirrors.
Did the remote button not work to turn it off? *head tilt*
I think you secretly enjoyed it and I want to know how many times you have listened to it since. *grin*
Weasel death march?
*snort*
I think I'd be trying to remove the speakers with one hand and driving poorly with the other.
Then I'd just hit the whole think with a hammer.
And pray tell... why didn't you pull over and take the batteries out? (yes, I know, you just wanted to hurry and get there!)
You?? Are too funny!
It only took you 20 minutes to drive 51 miles? Do you drive a rocket ship?
Actually, I drive a Volkswagon.
The thing only plays for 20 minutes. I say "only" as if 20 minutes is but a blip. It is not.
The remote didn't work to turn it off. I kept hitting it and it kept playing. Then I began to fear that hitting the remote was just re-starting the 20 minutes so I stopped.
I didn't pull over because I was on the interstate, so I was doomed to listen to the dirge.
Kim, if your hairdresser JJ says "DYNOMITE!!" it's a boy.
That's too funny! As a fan of the macabre I am now trying to imagine the Weasel Death March in all its glory.
Great, now I have that song stuck in my head.
They didn't make those mirror thingys when my kids were little. Or at least I didn't know about them. I'd be afraid I'd be staring in the mirror too much though.
OH, and if 51 miles isn't far to drive for lunch, then you can drive about 90 for a longer peep meet, right? Like on August 25? Right?
August 25th is my sex toy party. just sayin... if you don't mind a long drive...
"rocket ship" *snort*
i'm lauging out loud at the idea of pop goes the weasel being interpreted by a jazz funeral group. yikes!!!
Post a Comment