I'm so tired. Work is piling on. The only time I can get any work done is late at night after Lauren is asleep.
I'm supremely annoyed and frustrated with Mr. Fro.
Children's art supplies are going to drive me bonkers. Crayons facing the wrong way in the box - argh. Don't even get me started on Play-Doh. It's fine when you first open it, but then it gets mixed up and crumbley and fuzzy and gross. My sister in law gave Lauren Play-doh for Christmas. 3 days after we opened it, I hid it. I'm a bad mommy, I know.
The children's art supplies should really be the least of my worries, I guess.
Friday, January 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Really? I adore kid's art supplies! They're so much fun and I always loved doing art projects with my kids. "With" being a sometimes loose term since I tended to multi-task - while drawing & painting & cutting & gluing & stuff, I was also cooking & laundrying & doing whatever.
That said - I remember those days of utter exhaustion very well. Maybe you can relax your standards in the room(s) where Lauren plays the most. It doesn't need to be cleany-clean every day - just generally neatened a little now & then so people looking in the window don't call Children's Services on you.
Lauren puts her crayons back in the box!?! See now, I regard that as almost miraculous at her age. They are easier for little hands to put back in the box with the pointy end down so you wiggle them into place.
I think I kept my kids' various art supplies in several see-through shoe boxes and tried to have only one project (and thus one box) open at a time. That helped a lot with creeping messes.
Play-doh is a pain. Fun when it's fresh - but otherwise a pain.
Poor Froody. You are at "that point". It is tough. :(
If it makes you feel better we hide toys all the time. Even from the big kids cause the little one will want to get involved.
Crayons? Yeah you gotta let that go. Like Swami said. She is putting them back in! I have a tile floor and they roll under the dining room table all the time. Plus I find them eveywhere covered with dog hair. I just think that one day there won't be crayons all over the place and I will be wishing for them.
You know what is a good craft? THos coloring type books that actually have the paint in the picture. All you need is some water and a brush. They love them!
Playdoh too, it's never the same and the colors always mix. I think that is why they make it so cheap. Buy the tiny jars and only take out 2 at a time.
Painting is good too! WHile it sounds messy it does not have to be. Old clothes, old egg cartons and paper. Plenty of newspapers. They love it! You can buy unfinished wood at craft stores like boxes and bird houses and have her paint them and then you also have a gift!
*high fives my play doh sister*
Just when I had managed to get rid of all of it, someone gave him a 50-pack for his birthday. I had to bite my tongue writing that thank-you note. We do have a Play-Doh desk thing. It's a plastic bin that will store it, and it came with a bunch of tools. So he is only allowed to play with it on that.
Crayons. I gave up on the boxes long ago - like after the first box. I bought him a plastic tub to keep all of them in: crayons, markers, pencils, etc. He does good with that.
I do like the look of a brand new box of crayons though.
Conner's big thing is that he wants to get into my stamps. That freaks me out a bit since I spent so much on them. So he is only allowed to do it when I can do it with him.
I'm sorry you are so tired. I wish I could come and give you a week off.
I knew Boo would understand. :)
The crayons: it's not that they're pointing down, it's the sideways thing. She puts them in sideways and then tries to jam more on top, which frustrates her and ends up breaking crayons. I know that the fact that she puts them away at all is very good, so I'm not complaining about that! I am going to get her a plastic box for them, so that it doesn't matter so much.
Boo, I don't think I can do crayons, markers and pencils all mixed up in one box.
My SIL gave her this whole set of art supplies, which is great, but some of them are way beyond her right now. Glitter glue. Squeeze paint. I had to take some of it away and replace it with stuff she can use.
Zombs, I have the Color Wonder markers and paper and she loves those, and an Aquadoodle mat, too. Of course, what she loves most are the real markers. I don't mind if she uses those (she has an easel.) I do like the paint idea but will probably wait til it warms up a little so she can do it outside.
I'm not really a neat freak, but I'm particular about certain things. I'm going to have to lighten up. I know.
Oh, and I didn't even know there was such a thing as a 50-can pack of Play-Doh. I wish I didn't know that.
I can't top this great advice from our bloggy friends.
"Boo, I don't think I can do crayons, markers and pencils all mixed up in one box."
I'm saving this comment for you until you have two kids. *grin*
I'm still right there with you on the Play-Doh.
This reminds me. A couple of weeks ago, Conner and I did a toy inventory and decided on what we would keep and what we could donate. We made a big pile. In that pile, I put four puzzles that he hasn't done in at least a year. They are big floor puzzles. When I took everything to Goodwill, I pulled them out and decided I would take them to his school, as I frequently donate books and toys to them as well.
Yesterday, the puzzles were still sitting on the director's counter. We walked by, and Conner said to the director, "Ms. Tanya. I have those same exact four puzzles in my playroom. That's pretty neat."
She and I both just laughed and laughed and laughed.
I don't think he realized it, but I also don't think he'll care.
Great advice. My only additional would be "it sounds like you need to schedule a "ME" day". Kick Mr Fro into action as primary caregiver giving you time to escape for a while - even if it's an early warm bath with a glass of wine and early to bed.
Yuck on Play-Doh. I hated that stuff, especially if you had carpet.
I'm going with Tummy. How much time do you get to your own that is not working or looking after kidlet?
I'm just a month in, no real other job and I've negiotiated Thursday mornings free ( Mr Bob stays home) an my little sister comes by twice a week for an hour on her way home from school.
She gets paid $4/hour to hold the baby and watch tv. She thinks it is a pretty sweet job and I love knowing I get one hour guaranteed with two free hands.
I find having a set time that I know is mine does wonders for staving off the trapped feeling.
I knew there was another billion reasons not to spawn.
Although, I will admit to a certain glee when faced with art supplies, as well as lego and dollhouse furntiture and all that cool stuff.
As for Play-Doh? Plasticine is better, but if memory serves, it stains, n'cest pas?
Post a Comment