Anyway! Holiday recap!
We hosted Christmas Eve for my family at our house. I kept the menu simple to prepare but went for wow factor on content and presentation. We had:
- homemade chicken kiev
- beef tenderloin
- mashed potatoes with cheese and bacon (I boiled the potatoes in cream and chicken broth so they were extra flavorful)
- baby asparagus with balsamic vinaigrette
- cranberry sauce with orange, spiked with Grand Marnier
Very little work, except for the chicken kiev. I was glad that I did them, though, because that's what got the most rave reviews. My dad didn't believe that I made them (he thought I'd bought them pre-made) and actually quizzed me on how I did them. I had three extra kievs so I froze them and we had them last week for a weeknight dinner. I have to admit, they were really good.
The crazy fubar moment of Christmas Eve (there had to be one, right?) was when I was broiling the beef tenderloin and my oven locked itself (with tenderloin broiling away inside) and declared itself "too hot." Um. My oven turned into Hal the Computer from 2001 and wouldn't release my roast. Fortunately after a little while the door unlocked and I was able to rescue the tenderloin. No harm done, it was actually just about the right amount of time for it to be in the oven, so it remained edible. I was a bit stunned, though, since I hadn't known that my oven could lock itself.
Christmas morning Lauren opened her gifts from Santa. She got a few sets of play food and some pots and pans. She loves them. Then, for the big gift, we took her downstairs to see her new slide. She just stared at it for a moment, and then said in a hushed tone, "A slide!" Mr. Fro asked her if she wanted to try it, and she nodded slowly. The slide is a big hit. She loves it.
Later Christmas Day we went to my SIL's house for Mr. Fro's family celebration. Lauren spent most of the time chasing their cat around. He found refuge most often by hiding under their Christmas tree, but she was pretty persistent. It was a fun time.
Saturday was Mr. Fro's birthday. He invited his friend over and I made a pork tenderloin with an apricot-mustard glaze, and served it with leftover potatoes and cranberries. They then watched a movie (The Dark Knight) and I went upstairs and went to sleep. (Too worn out from Christmas.)
New Year's Eve was mostly uneventful. Mr. Fro's friend came over again and I made a gourmet meal of mostly fried stuff (french fries, onion rings, coconut shrimp) and I broiled another beef tenderloin, sliced it thin, and served it atop slices of baguette spread with garlic cheese and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. (I ate a lot of those, and the coconut shrimp.) We toasted at midnight, Mr. Fro and friend with cheap sparkling wine and me with sparkling grape juice. The local NYE countdown was hilarious, as the television news anchors who hosted seemed to have gotten into the bubbly early which made the whole thing a train wreck. Good times.
End of Holiday Recap
In other news, I got word today that a favorite nun/teacher from my high school passed away yesterday. I went to a very, very tiny all-girl Catholic high school, which closed in 1994, so the chain of information dissemination is a largely informal group of people who happen to still have each other's email addresses. She was a great lady. My junior year of high school, because of a scheduling conflict, I couldn't take the honors English class that she taught. (I had gym during that time.) Since she was the vice-principal of the school, she used to occasionally let me skip gym to sit in the class when they were doing special things (like watching Dead Poet's Society.)
Anyway, I got an email about her passing, which prompted me to poke around online to see if I could find an obituary with funeral/memorial info. (Not yet, too soon.) In so doing, I found a facebook group of alums from my high school.
I haven't really been tempted to join Facebook previously, even though I know I lot of you are there and enjoy it. I just don't know if I want to keep up with another "thing" and also, I'm just not cool enough for that kind of social networking thing. (I think I take the "friend" thing too literally and seriously.) But, seeing this group on there, and seeing some of the people in it, I'm slightly, just a little, tempted to maybe give it a try. Maybe.
So. What do you think? Talk me into joining Facebook.
With that, a picture:

10 comments:
I'm really, really hungry now. Your food sounds fabulous. Usually if I make a big gourmet meal, I get lazy the rest of the week. Sounds like you kept the ball rolling.
I won't try to convince you to join Facebook. It's not really that worthwhile. If you join, though, you really don't have to do anything to "keep up" with it. I'm on & off intrigued by it. It's a good way to share photos and such with friends.
mmmmmm the food sounds amazing.
*hugs*
Facebook? eh. I'm still not lovin it. I don't get the draw of it still. I prefer blogging.
What an adorable picture and what a nice Christmas you had! Your food sounds so yummy!
Mr. Fro's b-day is the 3rd? Hey that is mine too! It sucks, everyone is usually sick and also tired of celebrating.
FAcebook is fun. You don't really have to keep up with anything, you can put as little or not into it as you want. I think it is good to have. I can't tell you how many people I have reconnected with from old jobs, schools and neighbors. I say go for it.
*steps in front of Zombie*
Don't join Facebook because then you will have less time here and I like you in blogland!
Also, will you be my personal chef? Your food sounds very yummy. Your oven must have thought it was in a cleaning cycle or something - how strange! I have never heard of an oven locking itself while cooking at high temperatures.
Sorry about your old teacher.
I'll admit that I was a little worried about you, until I saw a comment from you on another blog.
You are quite the gourmet chef! I am impressed. All the cooking takes a lot of time and lots of standing on your feet. So strange about locking up, though. I agree with Swami, the oven thought it was self-cleaning. So now, is your oven smart or dumb?
I'm sorry to hear about your favorite teacher. I'm not on facebook, but it is a good way to catch up with old friends. I just got a notice to join the Reunion.com website because a "friend" of mine gave them my name.
Happy birthday, Mr. Fro. Lauren looks so happy on her slide!
Hi Frodis! Happy New Year.
Sounds like the holidays were a success and Lauren on the slide is too cute.
I had NO idea you are pregnant again. Congrats!
I want to know if the oven said anything like "locking the pod bay doors Dave" because I think that's a little freaky.
Your recap sounds like your holidays were lovely. The food all sounds delish. Your child is gorgeous.
I joined facebook (and twitter) on demand. I enjoyed facebook for a while but then it really started threatening to eat my life. Not only that, I prefer to not go there or myspace while at work. It's all very time-consuming and I feel overwhelmed when I turn my computer on at home so I usually don't stay online for long. So I guess I can't talk you into joining.
Your cooking sounds wonderful. Oh and give Mr Fro a belated birthday kiss from his online wanna be next-Mrs Fro *grin
That's freaky about your oven and a little scary. I'd hate to think about having a 25 lb prime rib in there :)
I didn't even know I had a Facebook page until I received an email saying Bravie want to be my friend or something like that the other day. I swear to God I don't remember setting one up!
Love long posts and yours wins for January :)
And I totally forgot to say how cute Lauren looked sitting on top of that HUGE big giant slide! *whacks self on back of head*
Post a Comment