This is fine, fostering independence and small motor skills and, in some sense, culinary appreciation.
But I'm one of those people who, while being very laid back about most things, has specific little quirks. Most people would never know of these quirks, unless those people either live with me or read this blog. One of these quirks is that I don't like messy butter.
Lopsided butter, butter full of crumbs, swaybacked sticks of butter, partially melted and re-formed butter, all give me something close to a heebie jeebie. I discreetly correct butter anomalies as quickly as possible, whether it be to take a slightly larger than normal pat in order to even out a strange angle, or sweep up the top of a crumbey butter. I have to admit that I secretly love little individual pats and pods of butter because the butter mauling is confined to a very small bit, and usually I can just wrap up what's left and throw it away before it has a chance to offend me.
So the fact that my nice, smooth tub of spreadable butter, the tub that I can never love more than when it's first opened and no knife as sullied its smooth surface, now looks like it's booked a weekend at the Bates Motel. The crumbs are one thing. The now-uneven butter landscape is another. The stab marks go so deeply into its surface that scarring is inevitible. Nevermind that I know that occasionally, instead of making its way to her toast, sometimes the little itty bitty scoops of butter go directly into her mouth.
My butter. My poor, poor butter.
I briefly thought that maybe I should get her her own little tub of spreadable butter, to massacre at will, so that my butter remains unsullied. But then I had two thoughts. 1.) there's something really, really wrong with me and 2.) what are the chances that I can relegate both Lauren AND Mr. Fro to the same butter, since he's as indelicate with it as she is.

15 comments:
Posts like these are a treasure. You make me laugh. I'm thinking you should write books. :)
Amen sis-tah friend.
You are not alone. I too am offended by crumby, uneven butter. The worst being the "scrape the knife with remaining butter and crumbs on the side of the container".
Blech.
Butter freaks! Unite!!
LMAO
I think I may just start spending my on-line time right here in this very blog.
I'm not quite I can comment because there are so many of my little insanities that I have had to let go after becoming a wife and mother. And you just wait until there are two of them in your house.
*makes self roar with laughter*
And yes, I still have many insanities.
LMAO
She is just too cute!
She got dunked in the bathtub immediately after this photo this morning. I think she had butter in her hair.
*makes up little guest bed for Boo in blog*
*puts mints on the pillow*
*steals mints*
Lauren pics *ALWAYS* bring a smile to my face! :D
I? would have to have my own tub of butter. And I would keep it hidden somehow in the refrigerator so that no one else would be able to find/disturb it. Oh! I know! Get a larger empty Cool Whip tub, and put the butter tub inside of it. Or get some non-see through tupperware, and label it with something that Mr. Fro would never in a million years eat, and keep your tub of butter in there.
Lol!!! Just keep neatening up the butter. Do it in front of Lauren without comment. This way you will pass your neat butter fetish on to the next generation. We owe it to our children to raise them right.
I also think you should buy smaller tubs so you can experience the thrill of a pristine butterscape more often.
I get it...I mean, you may have taken OCD to a new level, but I kind of get it.
Lauren wins, though, because she's cute. She can do whatever she wants with that tub of butter.
Aww, frodo, what a cute little hobbitz she is. :)
I agree with getting your own tub of butter and hiding it.
Oh, what a great picture! You said you are writing this blog as a journal for Lauren, but do you really want her to see this post? *grin*
Arkie and Swami have some good ideas.
Hah! Great picture. And I do think you should get a separate butter.
First of all, she's gorgeous.
Second? I'm the same way with stick butter and tub butter but only to an extent. I hate the crumbs but the uneven landscape is tolerable for me as long as it's not... well, massacred. I do not like slanted stick butter. I didn't even realize this was a quirk.
:)
Oh my goodness, that was too funny. You have such a way with words.
I actually like the idea of butter just for her. Because the time's going to come when she can get it out of the fridge herself. But by then, she will know that *her* butter is the smaller tub, and there will be less of the inevitable mess.
I'm waiting to hear the story about butter wrestling.
Post a Comment