I am happy today, to know that my children will grow up never having to wonder whether they'll see a black man elected President in their lifetime. I look forward to their looking at me like I'm crazy when I try to explain what was historic about this election. To them, it will be no big deal. It will just be.
We have a long way to go before all people enjoy equality. I don't truly believe that one election of one man has erased racism or bigotry, but in some small way, the United States grew up just a little bit yesterday. I hope, beyond hope, that this man is able to lead effectively and bring us to a better place, if only for the fact that I want this small step to lead to more and more steps. There is so much more that needs to be done to ensure that no ones rights are denied, that all people will be able to enjoy freedom and equality and opportunity, but today, just today, it is worth taking just one moment to reflect and celebrate the small step that has been taken.
While the day is dark for people whose fight for equality took a step back yesterday, I wish that this one small step in the right direction will keep us going. There's hope there, somewhere. I wish for the day when all children can grow up not just dreaming, but knowing that they can indeed be whatever they want to be.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I thought about that a few weeks ago and got a little choked up just thinking about it.
Sigh. My heart is heavy today knowing that Prop 8 passed. It just shows how much farther we have to go.
Amen.
Agree. Very nice post, Frody.
*big group hug*
Well said!
"There is so much more that needs to be done to ensure that no ones rights are denied, that all people will be able to enjoy freedom and equality and opportunity, but today, just today, it is worth taking just one moment to reflect and celebrate the small step that has been taken."
Well said, Frodis.
Post a Comment