Wednesday, September 3, 2008

bah

Bad thunderstorms last night.

Internet went poof and is not back yet.

Grumble grumble.

Posting from my phone makes my thumbs tired.

At least I have Certs.

11 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

All the bad stuff must have went south of us to you. We just have some rain, not much (ANY rain makes me happy). My lawn is completely and utterly brown, my perennials have prematurely went into domrmancy and the annuals are looking very sad. We made a decision this year not to waste water and energy by watering more than absolutely necessary. The veggie garden was deemed the only 100% necessary thing to water every other day. We are having company next weekend. Lots of peeps that haven't seen my house, so I'm a bit embarassed. Oh well.

kevingrout said...

That post was almost a haiku.

Just sayin'.

Breezy said...

Rain rain go away! It has rained here all day.

Fro, what kind of phone do you have? I may be ordering a Blackberry 8130 tomorrow.

frodis said...

It has rained all day today here too, Breezy.

Meemo, I realized that and thought about turning it into a proper haiku but I am too lazy.

I have an iPhone, Breezy. We all got them at work.

Breezy said...

Lucky duck!

Work won't buy mine, I have to buy my own. But it is nice having such a cheap monthly cell phone bill. I wonder how much it will go up with me adding an internet cable phone...

Swami said...

I hate when the internet goes poof! Although, I have done some quality reading and cleaning during those times.

You guys all have such advanced phones!

I really dislike texting. I have only done it once or twice and thought it was hugely time-consuming and inconvenient.

*clicks Certs with Fro*

Puffy said...

I like Mr. Puffy's Blackberry. It's so convenient to google something for info or clarification when in the middle of a conversation.

Bravie said...

Have you rubbed the certs together yet to see them spark?

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

DH has a Blackberry from work, and I am REALLY not fond of it... because it keeps him at work, even when he is home... checking emails ALL the time, and hearing the buzz when he gets one... blah.

Anonymous said...

Posting from your phone? Gah.

We now have three computers with internet access in our house. Three people, three computers. And we still have four TVs and four phones.

frodis said...

Boo, we have three computers and three people, and one of the people is only a year old.

One of the computers is hooked up to the TV for watching downloaded stuff OR split screening the football game and fantasy football website stats.

We have four TVs. One in the guest room, one in the TV room (duh) one in out bedroom, and a little under the counter flip-down one in the kitchen.

Only three phones. One in the TV room, one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom.

The issue with our internet is. . .

When we did electrical re-wiring of the whole house, we also wired the whole house for cable and internet. The WHOLE HOUSE. Including bathrooms. Yes, I have a cable line and an internet line in each bathroom. We also have a small camera pointed at the front door, so if someone rings the bell and I'm near a TV, I tune to channel 125 to see who it is.

Having the whole house wired requires a network panel and a cable panel, both of which are in our little utility closet with the breaker panel. It's complex and pretty cool looking, with all of the flashing lights and doo dads.

The breaker panel is surge protected so everything is okay if we get an electrical surge through the electrical lines. HOWEVER, as has happened twice now, we've gotten an electrical surge through the coaxial cable line coming into the house. (The pole in the back apparently got hit.)

The surge travels through the cable line mostly harmless until it gets to a piece that is plugged in. For us, that's in the network panel and it's the piece that boosts and splits the cable into two 8-port panels, which in turn distribute cable all over the house.

Last time this happened, the bi-directional booster/splitter got fried entirely. This time it just got tweaked, so it still received signals (the cable TV worked) but couldn't send (internet couldn't get out.)

Both times I've had to order that bi-directional booster splitter piece and replace it.

The moral of this long story is, put a surge protector on your cable. Otherwise the first thing that has electricity that it's plugged into can get fried.

The end.

*bow*