Friday, April 11, 2008

Little annoying things

The past couple of days have played host to a series of little annoying things that have happened. On their own, each one of these is a "so what?" thing but all lumped together I'm feeling like I need to crawl into bed and hide for a while. I blame the rain. It's been gray and gross both yesterday and today. I like thunderstorms but I get moody when it's cold and gray for too long.

Yesterday I bonked my head on the floor. I was trying to retrieve a polar bear from underneath the couch and misjudged the distance between my head and the floor. Boom. Ow. It gave me a dull headache for the rest of the day.

Then, my fish died. His name was Karchner and he was 8 years old. He used to push all of the blue rocks into the cave in the center of the tank and push all of the green and clear ones to the edges of the tank. I'd mess them up when cleaning the tank and he'd sort them all out again. He cost $1.68 and I bought him two days before I got married, because he was an algae eater and my tank was overrun with algae. By the time I got home from my honeymoon, the tank was clean and Karchner was fat. RIP, Karchner.

I lost out on an eBay auction on a book I wanted. The winning bid was $0.50 more than mine and came in 18 seconds before the auction closed. I didn't have a chance.

Michael Johns got voted off of AI. In a season where I don't have a favorite, or anyone I even really like, I'm a little bummed that he won't be on my TV anymore.

I was clipping Lauren's toe nails this morning and a bit of nail flew up and into my eye. It hurt.

I have to work at a conference next week, which starts Monday. I have to be at the conference center at 6am. Today, I took every single one of my suits and dressy pants to the dry cleaner, because I haven't worn any of them in 18 months or more, and they've spent that entire time mashed into a suitcase, so they all look horrid. I was feeling quite proud of myself for thinking of just bringing the entire suitcase to the cleaners, because it was the only way I could bring in that much clothes AND juggle the baby carrier. I dropped off 34 pieces of clothing: 10 2-piece suits, 11 pairs of dressy pants, 1 skirt, 1 sport coat and 1 sweater. (The sport coat and sweater are Mr. Fro's, the rest is mine.)

I went to a new cleaner's, mostly because they're offering a $2/piece flat rate for cleaning, and they offer next-day service. Since I brought SO much clothes I wanted the cheap rate, and I need the clothes tomorrow since I have to wear a suit on Monday (and Tuesday and Wednesday.) They took all of it, jammed it all into a bag, and whisked it off into the back. Then, the woman says, "Okay, it'll be ready Monday after 5." Uh oh. Then I turned and saw the big sign that says, "Due to equipment maintenance, no next day service today. Sorry for the inconvenience." Whoops. Of course, every suit I own had just been whisked into the depths of the cleaner's and even if I could get one back I wouldn't be able to wear it. (18 months squished into a suitcase does not do wonders for a suit.)

Here's where I turned the frown upside down. I went directly to Ann Taylor Loft and bought a lovely black two-piece suit. Simple, classic, perfect for all occasions, lined and tailored, and it fits me beautifully. On sale, 30% off! I figure I can treat myself to a new suit since I haven't bought one in a couple of years. While I was trying it on, Lauren amused herself by smooching herself in the dressing room mirror. I had to try to wipe it off since she left little hand and smoochprints in her wake.

On the plus side of taking things to the dry cleaner's, I found $6 in suit pockets, along with 5 boarding passes, directions to a house where my friend no longer lives, a handful of paperclips and a plastic bug.

The treehouse I bought from eBay arrived today. It's so cute. I really want to open it now. My mom also emailed me to let me know that she found and bought the other four sets. It's going to be hard to wait for her birthday. *fidget* I'm excited for her to see the new animals. When you add all of the new sets together she'll be getting 20 new animals.

I am a little peeved that Smartville doesn't have a penguin. I thought about making a list of the animals they should do and emailing it to VTech, but I don't want to get blacklisted in the toy world as an annoying mom. I came up with about 8 animals that they don't have before deciding not to be That Mom. Really, though, the ice cream shop would have been perfect for a penguin. Come on. The post office has a snail!

Finally, I need a new cushion for my glider. I sit in it ALL the time and have worn a butt crater into the seat cushion, to the extent that now, when I sit in it for any length of time, my tailbone hurts. A lot. I literally have a pain in my ass.

7 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

Wow, Karchner had a long, happy life. You should be proud you raised him well. RIP, buddy.

Sounds like the suit fiasco turned out well. :-) I need to go buy my country club dress this week (for bridal shower). I wish I could afford to shop at Anthropologie. They had super cute dresses in the window.

Puffy said...

At least you know that Karchner wasn't color blind. RIP Karchner.

You're such a great mom!

I hope that juggling Babyfro and the conference is going well.

I used to use a cushion in the car to raise me up a little bit. It was a convertible, low to the ground. I went through 5 cushions during the life of the car! I now bring the well-worn, ripped, torn cushions to the ball game.

Kimmah said...

awwwww, RIP Karchner.

Since losing weight, the thing that has been the most annoying and biggest PITA has been my tailbone. Sheesh. I had no idea that butt fat served an good purpose.

Hope the work week doesn't wear you out too much. And good luck with the hair!

Swami said...

I want a Karchner! None of my fish ever sorted rocks by color. I feel retroactively cheated.

What kind of plastic bug?

You never unpacked from your last business trip!?! I thought I was the only one who kept unpacked suitcases.

Glider cushions should go on sale soon.

Bravie said...

You have a polar bear under your couch? That is weird. I get dust bunnies. You get polar bears. Very strange indeed.

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

My glider got a butt-crater in it as well. I found at a baby store new cushions (in a discount bag or something) and they fit well, they just didn't match the cushion on the stool anymore. Oh well. My glider is loaned to my sister now -nephew will be 1 end of May.

I will have to look up the Smartville stuff - but then my youngest is 7, so probably won't be interested. I'm going to have to sell off my FPrice zoo, barn, and house somehow.

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

*points up* Looks like you got a brasil spam too.. I deleted the one I got.. what nerds!