Thursday, April 10, 2008

I got tagged

Both HD and Sharnina tagged me for the book meme, so here I go.

First of all, all of the books of sufficient length are in the office (the only books within reach are board books.) So, off I go to retrieve one. . .

The first book when I walked into the office was the AAP's guide to caring for baby and young child. BORING. So, I skipped that one and reached for the next. . . "The Poetry and Short Stories of Dorothy Parker"

"Should Heaven send me any son,
I hope he's not like Tennyson."

Good old Dorothy Parker.

I'm not sure who has been tagged yet, so I tag You, You, You, You and. . . You!

In other news, which is also related to books:

eBay. oBoy.

I read a lot of books when I was a little kid. My parents most effective punishment for me was taking my books away. I had a lot of Weekly Reader books, which I read many, many times and loved very much.

It was a sad day when my parents basement flooded and ruined a few boxes of my prized books. I've been wanting to replace them ever since but many are out of print, or hard to find, or I don't remember the titles. Still, I poke through the children's section at Barnes & Noble now and then and try to pick up anything that I see that was a part of my old collection. It's been slow going.

A few nights ago I decided to poke around eBay for old books and holey moley there's a bonanza out there. I currently have bids in on 6 books and I'm watching 4 others. They're all about $1 each, so I'm not breaking any banks, but I have a feeling that I'm going to be doing a lot of poking around and buying. Several of the books are from the same seller, who seems to have had a very similar library to mine. I'm hoping she has and lists more stuff.

What's fun is that I searched for "Weekly Reader" and a bunch of books that I never would have remembered in a million years popped up and I had several instances of "OH! I had that book!" Very fun.

I also searched and am watching a collection of 20 teen historical romance novels that my friends and I used to swap and read voraciously when we were in 6th grade. Haven't bid on those yet but I keep thinking about grabbing them.

Like I need more crap.

2 comments:

MM said...

LOL, I know what you mean. I have not searched for any books on ebay yet but I did look at other things from my childhood (scratch and sniff stickers, lunch pails, etc.) and ebay was the place to find them.

Have fun rebuilding your library, Fro!

Puffy said...

I sold some old "Boy's Life" magazines on ebay. I also sold some old programs from Dodger baseball games. I even sold all my old tickets to past Dodger games!