Sunday, March 30, 2008

Back in the saddle!

My stomach is back to being okay. It took until Wednesday, but I tested my gut with Chinese food on Thursday and all is well. I know you're all glad for the update.

It took Mr. Fro 9 hours to put together the safety gate at the top of the stairs yesterday. I like the gate a lot and it's easy to use, but I have a feeling we will never speak of it. It angered him. While he was working on it, I took Lauren to Target and to the grocery store. She rode in the seat in the cart (as opposed to riding in her car seat) for the first time and was an absolute doll. She sipped her juice and played with her stuffed cheetah and otherwise just took in the sights at the store. The deli lady at the grocery store gave her a piece of cheese and you'd have thought that she'd handed Lauren a hunk of gold. The kid was so excited and she kept saying "cheese! cheese! cheese!" Weltek would be proud.

While I was gone, Mr. Fro decided to spray some ants that had gotten into the house through a crack in the sliding door frame for the patio door. He told me not to let Lauren go near where he'd sprayed, which was fine, except that he chose to block off the area with. . . baskets of her toys. Um. Perhaps the spray got to his head, because there could be little else guaranteed to make her beeline right for the ant area. Except maybe cheese. I moved the toy baskets and blocked off the area with baby gates, which were stacked up about four feet away from the ant area. I said nothing, however, since he had gone back to doing battle with the baby gate at the top of the stairs.

Tonight we're going to dinner with my family to get in an Easter celebration that was missed last weekend. I know what Lauren's going to wear but I don't know what I'm going to wear. I have no clothes. Last year at this time I was pregnant and wore the same pair of pants every day for two months. I want to go shopping.

Next weekend I have a plan to stop at the outlet mall to use my two Coach gift certificates to buy myself a new purse. I currently have a little short-handled Coach bag that was perfect when I was *cough* young and trendy but is completely insufficient now. Now, I need a Mom Purse. With the weather getting warmer, it will not be possible to transport cheerios and polar bears in my coat pockets anymore. I have $200 worth of Coach gift certificates, and I plan to use them at the outlet store to get more bang for my buck (since it's hard to get buck bang on Coach anyway.) I've been using tiny purses for years now, so if I'm going to have a Mom Purse, it's going to be stylish, dammit.

Fortunately, the outlet store is on the way to my sister in law's house, and we will be going there next weekend to visit my new nephew! He's going to be born Monday. He's big, so they're inducing her two weeks early. How selfish is this? I'm glad that he's going to be born on March 31 because that means that Lauren will retain April all to herself. (And he will be born Monday - the doc said that if he's not out the normal way by evening, it's going to be a C-section. ) I am excited about a new baby in the family - and it'll be fun to have another boy after the recent spate of girls. I bought him some little outfits at Target yesterday. Since my sisters in law gave me several boxes of girl clothes from their daughters, I haven't been buying any clothes for Lauren. (Well, I did buy her a little dress yesterday. On Sale!)

I'm in a cleaning mood today so as soon as Mr. Fro gets home I'm hoping he'll watch the kiddo (who is napping, now) so that I can act on the cleaning urge. I have to strike while the iron is hot, or else I settle back into my "I don't care" attitude about the clutter.

9 comments:

~Nutz said...

Awww! Lauren is too cute with the cheese!

*shakes head @ Mr. Fro putting toys near the ant spray*

kim (weltek) said...

*wipes tear of pride* That's my girl.

We have those projects happen at our house, so I totally know what you mean. Chris enjoyed watching me put together a cheapo bookcase last night. It was a "no tools needed!" kind, which means five million little plastic connecter parts. Sigh. I tend to maintain a good demeanor and laugh at myself during these times, though. It took about 1.5 hours.

Does a belated easter gathering mean you have an excuse to buy post-easter candy? I think it does. :-)

Oooh, purse shopping. I was at TJ Maxx the other day, coveting this orangey pink Dooney & Bourke bag. You are right about needing a good mommy purse, but there are sooooo many cute bigger purses now. You'll be fine.

Seana said...

Glad you're feeling better.

What a cute story about the grocery store. My kids loved the store when they were small. DD's favourite thing when she was 5 or so was picking the mushrooms. I'd ask her to get 10 and she'd get 11, hee hee.

"Did you get 10 mushrooms?"
"Yes!" *heehee*
"Really?"
"Yes!" *heehee*
"Let's just look here..." *open paper bag*
"I got 11!" *gigglefit* "You didn't know! I fooled you!"

I will not laugh at your DH's valiant struggle against the fell baby gate. All honour to him.

Hooray for having the urge to clean.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, we had issues with the baby gate at the top of the stairs as well. Not fun. We still have marks on the wall from it. The holes for the screws. The pulled area from when the velcro wouldn't come off the wall. I am glad to have no more baby gates.

We went to a birthday party on Saturday at a home that had two baby gates - one at the top and one at the bottom of the stairs. Conner had to poop. The downstairs bathroom was occupied. Holding is not an option for us. So I had to battle both of those damn mahogany fricking stylish gates to get to a bathroom. Grrrrr.

I'm glad you have a little cheesehead. Cheeseheads are awesome!!!

Oh, and 9 hours is a long time. That is all.

Anonymous said...

Weltek, I thought of you and that bookcase, since I had the same one. I think it took me about an hour.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and the purse. I knew I forgot something. Yay for a new purse. I got a new one for Christmas that is bigger than I've ever had before. I didn't think I would like it, but I do, if for nothing more than being able to carry extra hand wipes.

Swami said...

I hope your new nephew is here by now, safe and sound!

Baby gates were always useless to me. My kids went right over the top immediately. So I put bells on the gates and then they were just large, mom-alert devices.

Stoopid cheese-giving deli lady. She is just conditioning your kid to think she's supposed to eat stuff in the grocery store - it probably leads to more sales, but I always feel sorry for the moms whose kids pitch fits until mom opens up a bag of cookies or crackers or something for the kid to graze on while she shops.

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Ditto Swami! Hope nephew is here alright!

~Nutz said...

I came to play and you're not here.

*pouts*