I am making her cake.
I made her cake last year, a Dorothy the Dinosaur cake (Dorothy is from The Wiggles) and it came out very well, if I do say so myself. The real test was that when Lauren saw it for the first time, she pointed to it and said, "Dorothy!" Score one for Mom. I had been nervous before making it that it wouldn't come out looking like it did in my head, and that it would just be a horrible disfigured cake blob, and that I'd ruin my daughter's first birthday. That didn't happen.
So this year, I'm raising the stakes and making a WordWorld themed cake. It's going to be a round layer cake, and the sides will spell out CAKE. That part I think I can do fairly well.
Did I mention that I've been watching a lot of Food Network? In particular, I've been watching a lot of Ace of Cakes and Food Network Challenges where they make giant amazing cakes. Sometime in the middle of the night last night, while watching Ace of Cakes, I got it into my head that I could make some 3-D WordWorld figures out of fondant and put them on top of the cake.
So today, in what should be my more coherent hours of the morning, I still thought this was a good idea, so I packed up the kids and went to the store to buy fondant. I also bought a set of tools specifically for making 3-D fondant figurines. (Yes there is such a thing and no, I probably didn't need it but it bolsters my confidence. I have the TOOLS now. I can't fail!)
I hope it looks like what it looks like in my head.
We're catering in the rest of the food so this is my only task for the party (other than looking fetching and running around hiding all of the crud that's piled up around the house.)
Here's a picture of what the WordWorld guys look like, for those of you who don't regularly tune in to PBS children's programming:

8 comments:
Word World is the best show! Let's build a word! Build it! WElcome to our world! Where words come alive!
I love those cake baking shows too. I wish I could have those jobs. It looks so cool but I probably could not handle the stress! I also want cake after all the times they say the word in the shows. Tomorrow night is Ace of Cake's "Lost" cake for the 100th episode. I'd eat Sawyer. After licking him first.
Happy Birthday Lauren! I'm sure it will come out great! If all else fails make letters out of the fondant. Make a Slide!
Happy Birthday Lauren! How exciting. And a big special day just for her should be really good.
I hope your cake turns out well. And I do know of these tools of which you speak, but I don't have any.
I think I'm done with making cakes for a while.
I'm not a baker and consider anyone who can make a cake a genious.
Throw in some fondant figurines and I get all swoony.
Watched the "Last Cake Standing" challenge yesterday and was completely blown away. Love those shows. And Duff too! Although Geoff makes me giggle as he's such a stoner.
Happy birthday Lauren!
Woah-you are the coolest! I would love a cake like that baked by my mommy!
Good luck. I also love Ace of Cakes, but alas, I'm only good at (extremely amateur) decorating cakes, and making cakes that taste good, not assembling. I suck at assembling. I'm excited to see how it turns out, for better or worse!
Happy Birthday, Lauren!
Happy Birthday Lauren!!!
I wanna see pics of the cake.
I hope Lauren's party was fun for all! You are very brave, to sculpt little figurines for your cake.
My only real baking "tools" are about 437 cookie cutters. I rarely even use them; I just like having them around.
I hadn't heard of WordWorld. I'll have to recommend it to some of the kids I see.
I like the wedding cake shows on TV, too.
Happy Birthday, Lauren!
Happy Belated birhtday to Lauren!
I'm impressed with your ambition. Do you have any pics of the cake? I haven't worked with fondant since I took cake-decorating classes at Michael's a couple years ago. It was pretty easy, though, and you have a lot more control than with piping bags.
Post a Comment