Monday, November 12, 2007

Running from responsibility

I have a large project going live today at work. It's a website I programmed and it's got a lot of little tweaky bells and whistles. It is for people to register for a conference, and it has all sorts of special behaviors and programming to make it do everything but wipe the registrant's nose and give them a brownie when they're done.

Without getting super boring (oops, too late!) the client separates the registrants into groups by how special they are. Extra special people get to register first. (There are 85 of them.) Then special, but slightly less than extra special people next. (About 200 of them.) Then sort of special people, (900) and finally, everyone who is not special at all (15,000.) The website has to determine how special a person is, and then allow them to register, or not. Today, only the 85 extra special are allowed to register. Tomorrow, the special, and somewhat special people can have at it. The sorta special people get to go in a week or so, and the not special people have to wait til December.

So, I had to have it ready for the extra special people today. I was up very late last night getting it all good to go. It's ready. I think.

I am worried that I missed something, or that the site has a big bug I didn't notice, or that something very bad will happen. I don't have any reason to think this, but I do. It should be noted, I worry like this about absolutely everything, and I only rarely have anything actually go wrong, because the byproduct of my paranoia is that I over-test everything.

So. Usually on a "go live" day, I sit by my computer and phone and wait for someone to send me an urgent message that the site is burning down and the world is coming to an end.

Today, I really should be doing that. But instead, I called my mom (she doesn't have to work today) and asked her if she wants to go to lunch. Because I will be away from the computer, that is exactly when the site will crash and the world will end.

That'll be somewhere around 12:30 this afternoon.

I thought you should know.

9 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

I feel like going home right now and ditching the ten super-high-priority things on my desk.

If your registration program gave me a brownie at the end, I'd register for your conference.

kim (weltek) said...

Oh, and where are you going for lunch?

momma said...

It's 12:15. The world hasn't ended. Yet.

dragonflies said...

It is now 1:37, and still no end. I've got this huge stack of paper on my desk I was hoping would go away thanks to your world ending scenario, but it is still here. *sigh*

mtw said...

My nose is running, I need a brownie, and I don't feel special. :(

momma said...

It's 2:08 and I desperately NEED a brownie.

frodis said...

The world didn't end. In fact, my email and phone have been very quiet. That's fine with me. It's as I suspected since none of the extra special people would have gotten their mail today since it's Veteran's Day.

So, the world might end tomorrow instead.

I'll get working on the brownie thing.

Kim, we went to a restaurant not too far from here and I had cedar-planked salmon and steamed veggies. They have an option on their dessert menu called "A little something" which is a small portion of one of their desserts. I had warm apple strudle with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.

Puffy said...

Yum yum on the "little something" dessert menu.

Are you going to initiate this plan for your blog, too?

kim (weltek) said...

I lovwe to live vicariously through other's lunches. I rarely get to go out for lunch.

*licks lips*