Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Simple happy

I bought a fresh chicken at the farmer's market on Saturday. I've been buying different cuts of meat from a vendor there who raises pigs, cows, and chickens. I had told him a few weeks ago that my family was just starting to realize the value of eating local, and how good pasture-raised meat really is, and each week I try something different of his. He doesn't have fresh chickens often, but this week he did, and he saved one just for me. I felt special.

I decided to give the chicken the full local treatment, so I stuffed it with CSA onions and garlic and farmer's market herbs, and roasted it on a bed of CSA/farmer's market potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Believe me when I tell you that it was the best roast chicken I've ever made. Lauren kept asking for more until there was nothing else that could be picked off of the bones.

Then yesterday I took what was left of the chicken and boiled it with an assortment of farmer's market and CSA veggies for about 6 hours to make chicken stock. Then I made homemade egg noodles and used to stock to make chicken soup. (We all have colds.)

I feel like I not only got my money's worth out of that chicken, but that the chicken gave everything it had for a few good meals.

It sounds ridiculous, but this makes me happy.

8 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

Wow-you really did use it up "old school." Way to go! I've been better over the last few years about making stock and freezing it.

I still don't buy as many local meats and eggs as I should. The price difference is hard for me to stomach. I suppose it would be harder for me to stomach visiting a Purdue chicken factory, etc.

kim (weltek) said...

Oh, and we did sign up for another 1/4 beef this year, so I guess we've been good in the beef dept.

frodis said...

You're my inspiration, Kim. You got me thinking about the CSA, the CSA inspired me to try more local stuff, and the local stuff is making us eat better.

Cost wise - yeah, it's more expensive, but I've countered that by cutting WAY back on buying processed foods. My grocery bill has actually gone down, overall, believe it or not. And we're all eating better and wasting less. If we have veggies and don't have NoodleRoni, then we eat veggies, not NoodleRoni. Win-win.

We'll see how winter goes when all of the yummy local veggies go away. *sniff*

Swami said...

You made your own noodles too? Now I'm really impressed

Local meat from well-managed, healthy livestock tastes so much better than the grocery store feedlot/factory meats! The prices (here anyway) range from a little to lot more. They are most expensive at our big health food coop, and just a little bit more from our local, old-tyme butcher.

Zombs said...

This sounds just so good! Kind of Little House on the Prarie when they use a whole pig!

I would be craving this right now if it wasn't for the 90 degree weather!

kim (weltek) said...

I talked our friends into CSA-ing this weekend. They've never had a garden, she wants one (but isn't very domestic) and he doesn't because he knows the work will all fall on him. Perfect solution for this family of four.

I'm planning to whip up some chicken noodle soup this coming weekend, thanks to you.

Tummy said...

Your post has made me want some chicken and dumplings (I don't like noodles). Will you come and make me some?

Puffy said...

My grandma would have been proud of you. I'm in awe.